There are some really great organic vegan protein powders available on the market these days. The fact that so many people are switching to a plant-based diet means that more and more companies are offering very high-quality vegan products.
There are more options on the market than ever before!
So how do you know which is the best organic protein powder? What, exactly, makes a great vegan protein powder?
It depends on what you are looking for.
Some people are looking for an instant shake – a flavored mix that you can just throw together, shake and go.
Other people want a protein powder that can be mixed into baked goods or other recipes that give you an extra boost of protein in your diet.
Others may be looking for a straightforward post-workout boost that helps them recover and supports muscle growth.
Whatever it is that we want from our vegan protein powder, we all want a protein powder that is wholesome and organic.
I decided to do some investigating. I wanted to find the best organic protein powders on the market – not just according to my own opinion but taking the opinions of others into consideration as well.
How did I choose the best organic vegan protein powders on my list?
- I looked at the versatility of each product. Can it be used in baked goods? Mixed into coffee? Used only as a shake?
- I looked at ingredient lists. Is the protein powder completely organic? Is the product full of fillers? Does it have any artificial flavorings?
- I looked at consumer reviews. What do others have to say about this product?
- I studied the company’s integrity. Are they transparent about the manufacture of their product? Do they test for purity or contamination? Are they contributors to making the world a better place?
There you have it. That’s my criteria. And now, here’s my list of the best organic vegan protein powders.
The Best Organic Vegan Protein Powders
1. Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder
Ora Organic is a great company with strong values. It’s companies like these that I love to spend my money with as I know they care.
They believe in creating supplements that are Organic, plant-based and sustainable nutrients that are derived from real food. Unlike the synthetic crap that you’ll find on most supplement isles around the world.
Here’s what I love about this product:
- 22g of plant-based organic protein and just 1g of sugar per serving
- Complete amino acid profile and a full spectrum of digestive enzymes to aid in digestion and bioavailability.
- 20 different organic superfood ingredients.
- No filler ingredients, artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners or preservatives.
This is what verified customers love:
- Tastes great in smoothies
- Can be used in baking
- Easy on the stomach
- Very versatile and tastes great mixed with just about ANY ingredient from fruit to veggies!
Here’s how to get a discount of up to 30%: Ora Organic Discount Code
Check out my review here: Ora Organic Protein Powder Review
2. Peak Performance Grain Free Complete Plant Protein
Not only is Peak Performace’s plant protein powder vegan and organic, but it is also paleo-friendly.
Here’s what I love about this product:
- All the ingredients are minimally processed from whole foods.
- No soy!
- Has hemp, sacha inchi, chia, and moringa – what a mix!
- No mysterious “natural flavors”
- No fillers
- No artificial or over-processed sweeteners
- Has a full amino acid profile
- High in iron, low in carbs
This is what verified customers love:
- It can be used in baked goods to boost protein content.
- Is great in smoothies
- Blends well with just water
- Great chocolate and vanilla flavors
- Has a smooth texture
Peak Performance is a great company offering a great product. They subject their products to 3rd party testing, guaranteeing that there is no heavy metal contamination in their protein powder.
They also have an awesome social mission, donating a product 1 to 1 for every product purchased, directly towards fighting malnutrition in needy communities.
Where to buy: Get it on Amazon here.
3. NorCal Organic Pea Protein
NorCal’s pea protein is the best organic vegan protein powder for those of you looking for a no-frills minimalist protein.
This is what I most appreciate about this product:
- It is super simple – just one ingredient – organic yellow pea protein isolate.
- The peas are sourced from organic Canadian farms and processed in the US without any harmful chemicals.
- The company is transparent about 3rd party test results (it’s really clean).
- Has 22g of protein in a 26g serving!
- It has very little sodium or carbs.
- It has only 100 calories per serving.
- It contains all the essential amino acids.
- It can be used in baked goods, smoothies, or other recipes.
This product appears to have a very loyal following. Here’s what customers love most:
- The nearly flavorless taste.
- Is not gritty or chalky
- Does not clump in the blender
- Is very gut friendly
NorCal is very obviously a company with a dedicated mission to the environment, as they recently switched out their packaging to be more eco friendly. Unfortunately, it didn’t go so well for them. Lot’s of customers complained about the new, mainly paper, bags just falling apart. In response, NorCal replaced the protein powders and switched out their packaging again.
A company that is sensitive to their environmental impact and responsive to their customer’s needs? That’s pretty impressive to me.
They definitely earn a spot on my list of the best organic protein powders.
Where to buy:
4. Vivo Perform Raw Plant Protein
I love this stuff. It’s my personal favorite and I couldn’t write this list of the best organic vegan protein powders without including it.
But here’s the deal. Vivo’s Perform Raw Plant Protein is not actually certified organic. It is certified (by them) as ‘vganic’. What does that mean? Basically, they source their ingredients from small farmers who follow strict organic practices but choose not to become officially certified as “organic”. That process can be incredibly expensive.
They vouch for the purity of their product with transparent third party testing.
This is what else I love about this protein powder:
- The protein is bio-fermented, making it easy on the gut.
- Has 25g of protein per serving.
- It has great ingredients like turmeric, reishi mushroom, konjac fiber, and hemp seed.
- It has a full amino acid profile.
- It has very little sugar.
- It is low fat.
And here’s what other customers have to say about this stuff:
- It has great flavor options.
- It mixes well into oats, smoothies, and baked goods.
- It has a smooth texture.
- The company has great customer service.
- The nutrient profile is impressive.
Vivo is a company that is overwhelmingly environmentally conscientious in the manufacture of its products. This translates to a healthier product for the consumer.
Read my Vivo Life Protein Review.
Get a Vivo Protein Discount Code Here.
5. KOS Organic Plant Protein
Let’s be honest. Sometimes we want the exact opposite of a bare-bones protein. We want a decadent, fudgy, sweet shake. Sometimes we want something that reminds us of those snacks we used to eat before becoming health conscious.
If you are looking for an organic vegan protein powder that tastes like a treat, this is your best option.
What I think is great about this product:
- The protein blend is soy-free.
- It has 20g of protein from pea, pumpkin, flax quinoa, and chia
- It is sweetened with stevia and monk fruit extract
- It has a complete dose of copper and a significant dose of b vitamins.
- It is relatively low in sodium.
- It has a decent amount of fiber.
- It has no artificial or mysterious “natural” flavors.
- It is made in the USA
This is what happy customers most like about this product:
- It has a great “rich and creamy” texture.
- Rich flavor (most recommend the chocolate flavor).
- It can be used in baked goods and other recipes.
- It is low sugar but kills the sweet tooth.
- It is easy on the stomach.
- No unpleasant aftertaste.
KOS is not a company that advertises its social missions or pet projects. They do state pretty clearly that their driving goal is to provide products that are environmentally friendly and healthy for humans.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any information about 3rd party purity testing.
But overall, this incredibly popular organic vegan protein powder stands out from the competition based on the simplicity of its ingredients and consistently positive customer reviews.
Where to buy:
So there you have it.
Those are my recommendations for the best organic vegan protein powders out there.
If you follow my blog, you may be interested in reading about the healthiest vegan protein powders or the best gluten-free protein powders available.
If you check out those articles, you’ll notice that there are a few products that overlap from one list to the next.
The thing is – all of the best protein powders, in my opinion, are gluten-free, organic, and healthy. If they are not – why in the world would we want to consume them?
If you know of an organic protein powder that you recommend, be sure to mention it in the comments!